Wednesday, April 8

Thrifty Thursday

I've always loved my friend Hanne's idea of "Thankful Thursday", where each Thursday she blogs about the things she is thankful for that week. I thought I'd put my own spin on that great idea, and blog about my favorite thing to do in my spare time, which is digging up hidden treasures, and call it "Thrifty Thursday" My all time favorite blog -thanks to Eileen- is Joys of Home (ramblings of a self made home designer). She is full of fabulous ideas on turning trash to treasure and is a kindred spirit to me! Visit her blog and she'll inspire you. She admits that blogging about her projects gives her some kind of deadline to actually finish all those projects laying around, so I thought maybe that might help me too because I really need to finish all my half-done projects that I think someday I'll get to.

First of all, if you ever come across some old crystal doorknobs, you must buy them! Months ago, I found these on KSL, and had my mom pick them up for me. She says "What do you need 14 doorknobs for?" And I say "I don't know yet, but I'm sure I'll need them!"






















Look Mom, they found a home! This dresser was mine growing up but was a different color back then. With a new coat of paint and these "diamond" knobs on it, it's perfect for Avery's girly room.






























Am I the only one that thinks 2 liter bottles are just too pretty to throw away sometimes? Probably so. Hmmm, if I cut the bottom off, it could turn into a cloche to display pretty things under. Can you picture it?
























Put it on top of a pedestal, with a sweet porcelain bird and a little moss nest, and it's a happy little spring display. Hey, there's those crystal knobs again! Those sure come in handy.

















I like to frequent the dollar store, because that place is full of hidden treasures. Take these galvanized containers for example. Although the lovely blue flowers and butterflies probably make somebody happy, they don't make me happy. Fortunately they scratch off pretty easily and you're left with the perfect planting container.

















Add some soil and wheat grass, and you'll have some thick, lush, green grass to look at inside your house, even if there's still snow outside!















My cat looks forward to me planting this grass each spring, she thinks it's her own personal catnip.















Hope you all enjoy your spring break. This weather changed our camping plans, so now I'm hoping to get more projects done on my list while it rains . . .

14 comments:

Ballard Family said...

I'm am so excited about your new "Thrifty Thursday" posts. I have a feeling I might be getting a lot of good new ideas. You are seriously so creative Chanelle, I mean really 2 litter bottles??? and you make them look that good? I wish I had even a pinch of your knack.

Tiffany said...

You are so Creative with what ever you are doing. Miss you guys. You ll have to come down during the summer.

tiffany

OH i got asked to the stake prom!

Hayley said...

I am so excited about these posts! You are so crafty, can you teach me?? Keep these up!

Hanne and Fam said...

I love this post! I can already tell that you are going to help me get all creative. My fingers are itching for next week!

Deven and Britany Dicus said...

Oh my heck Chanelle! You are so creative, I am so excited to hear more about your creations! Maybe it will inspire me to see the good in things I would normally just walk by.

By the way Courtney told me about your super cute chair from the DI, I can't wait for her to borrow it for my kids pictures! :-)

Milana said...

You are amazing!!!Seriously, I am sitting here in awe of how talented you are! Sorry that you weren't able to go to Zions. As soon as the sun decides to come out and stay out, we need to have a park party or picnic and let the girls play!
Have a wonderful Easter! I am already looking forward to next Thursday!

Joy said...

Oh we are kindred spirits! I love the wonderful things you've done with those beautiful glass door knobs. The dresser looks so sweet and no one would ever guess the cloches were 2 liter bottles. Now that's recycling at it's best!

just the five of us said...

I love your crafts! I wish you lived closer so you could help touch my house up a little:D

I love glass knobs too. I almost swiped them off every door in our first house by the temple.

Mandi Moon said...

Aren't you a crafty little devil?! I love the crystal knobs. I am getting ready to redo Angie's daughter's chest-o-drawers and mirror. She wants them orange and green with funky knobs and her name painted on the mirror. It should be fun!!

Natalee said...

Wow, wow, wow!!!! You really are incredible and so talented! Remind me to not have you over to my house! JK...would love to work out a get-together somehow!

Love your ideas and look forward to your Thursday posts!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, I'm SO impressed! I really wish I had a page out of your book on creativity. I'm really looking forward to what you'll have each week though! Keep Thrifty Thursdays coming, I'll need ideas considering we'll be moving to a new apartment, with no furnishings, no decorations, and no money!

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way Chanelle, my email isn't a hotmail account. It's melissa.daines@aggiemail.usu.edu If you still can't get it to go through, just leave your email on a comment on my blog. I hope it works!

Jenni said...

Love this post!!! I love your table, center piece, door knobs, Avery's room...seriously how do you do that????

vickie said...

I saw all these things in your house today and had no idea how they came to be. You can make anything beautiful.