Wednesday, April 22

Thrifty Thursday

Welcome to the Jungle!This is Cade's bedroom that has evolved from a Star Wars bedroom into a Jungle bedroom. According to Cade it's not finished yet, because he wants several trees and vines hanging from the ceiling, with maybe some pineapples, bananas, and coconuts hanging too. Yeah, that would be cool. Oh, and if you think his room looks like this all the time, think again. I totally staged it for a picture.


Pay no attention to the mismatched bedding ensemble. That is a result of trying to please an extremely picky kid who has "fabric issues". But take a closer look at what may be my thriftiest work ever, the animal artwork on the wall.



These are pictures cut out of a calendar that I got at Dollar Tree I think, so that's 12 pictures for one dollar! I had Dave cut me some boards that were one inch bigger than the pictures, then I painted them black. (Have I mentioned how handy it is to be married to a cabinet guy?) Then Cade and I modge-podged his favorite photos on and made some custom artwork for his Jungle room. All for one dollar.


We left the ceiling from his Star Wars room because it makes a really cool night sky. This is my temporary solution to Cade's idea of having a dark blue ceiling with millions of stars: Tissue paper. I'm not saying it looks great to an adult's eye, but to an 8 year old's eye, it's wonderful. And when he grows out of wanting all those millions of stars on his ceiling, it will all come down in a matter of minutes.





7 comments:

Jenni said...

You have found your niche...blogging your thrifty creative works of art. I love thrift thursday and I especially love the tissue paper on the ceiling because my boys have been BEGGING for the night sky with stars and I've continuously said no! Now I'll have to consider it :)

Eileen said...

HOW?! in the crap have I missed these last posts?!!! Blogger has let me down. I LOVE everything. You better have signed up to help with my "Decorate on a Dime" activity.

Seriously.

misja (quite appropriate)

Hayley said...

I love your blog on Thursday's! Somehow I have never seen Cade's room, and it just fits his personity to a T. The only problem with your Thursday posts is that I find myself wanting to redecorate my house....

Milana said...

Sorry about not being able to get together this week. We have been soooo sick this week. Maybe next week! I had never thought about using calander pictures! What a great and cheap way to do it! You are amazing!!!

Natalee said...

Okay, so my calendar that I've saved to utilize in my kitchen, just as you have in Cade's room wasn't $1, but I do feel pretty cool to think that I'm planning on doing something that you came up with also!

Now if I could just get a cabinet man in my house to make my frames for me also! That would be cool!

And I love the nighttime sky idea!

I too love your Thrify Thursday posts!

Candace said...

I love the jungle room and especially the pictures of the animals. Your are amazing in what you find at the dollar store. I really need to shop with you more often!

just the five of us said...

Chanelle, my friend teaches Kindergartin and she has the best palm trees in her room. She made them from fabric and hangs the ABCs on them for Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I will take picture of them and email them to you. They would be so cute in Cade's room.