Thursday, June 11

Help Me

Help me to be a good mother, help me not to ruin my kids. This is my prayer, my mantra every day, and it seems I'm repeating it more than usual this past week. If I may complain just a moment, I need a little blog therapy.


This happens every June. And even though I know it's coming, it still knocks me over every year. My life goes from coasting along smoothly, to completely out of control overnight it seems. You see, at the exact same time that I have the most weddings of the entire year, the kids get out of school. Which seems like a cruel joke, really. And for all you who are saying "I thought she wasn't doing weddings anymore", well, I am. Times are tough.
The kids always go through a week of being in limbo when school gets out, and they have to learn how to live with each other again. And when you have three kids, you never really have just three, you actually have six, because they each have a friend over most of the time.
I was doing really well until today, because it's going on day seven of rain and kids being inside the whole time. I feel as if I have been trapped in my house since school got out except for a grocery trip to Walmart at 10pm one night (woohoo!) and I spent last weekend in bed with the flu. Today was exceptionally long because I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. And I knew Dave wouldn't be coming home tonight to relieve me at dinnertime. Cade was in a particularly bored mood, and I tried one thing after another to spark his imagination, but nothing sounded fun.

We went to the library to get a new book, but he had issues with the feel of the paper in the book and wouldn't read it. Honestly, can anybody feel my pain with having a highly sensitive kid to anything he touches? Do you know ANY other kid who has to test out the feel of the paper in a book before he can read it???????????? Hellllllpp Meeeeeeeeee.

Then he begged me to build him a fort, which I did, but then he was upset because Bailey didn't want to play in it with him. So it's still in my basement, untouched. Then he wanted to eat lunch in the sandbox, which reminds me, my dishes are still out there.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to make these pomandiers for a wedding this weekend. Which only takes about 14 hours when you've got kids. I kept saying Can I Just! Have! Five! Minutes!




And iron my mountain of linens while listening to the sweet sound of sibling rivalry. These are the days I question my decision to get rid of cable. They at least could watch Drake and Josh together without fighting.


And while I'm doing this, Avery has trouble with her pants and pees all over the floor.
Later she decides to look at her scrapbook, and takes all the pictures out of the plastic sleeves. Then she makes some creation out of a ball of yarn, some elastics, and some scissors. What a great mom I am.


But this day isn't over yet. (I wish it was!) Just before bed, I notice another of Avery's creations. She'd painted her horse with a blue marker "Just like Spirit, Mom!" This is why I can't work and take care of kids at the same time.




By this time I'm just beyond being snippy, I need this day to end, before the dragon comes out.
Too Late.
The kids decide to sleep in the fort, and I'm happy they are finally playing together, even if it is 10pm. Just when I think I made it through the day, the kids are all snuggled in, I hear "Mooooooom, Avery stuck her gum on the couch!


The sun will come out, tomorrow! I hope.

12 comments:

just the five of us said...

That's why I love year round school:D The breaks are just a little bit shorter and more in between. You need to send your kids to my house, so they can swim. Just load them up on the plane, and I will pick them up at the airport:D

Milana said...

Oh how I feel your pain! Blogs are wonderful...we realize that we are all going through the same things. My son flooded the bathroom this morning at about 5:30. I think that we need a summer camp for moms, an afordable spa camp of some kind that also includes hair transplants for all that we have lost(or ripped out) in just the first week of summer! Good luck with everything!!!

Eileen said...

I LOVED reading that! And oh how I remember those days. You could be me and have to ask a neighbor if school is officially out yet.

Bitter sweet.

prold

Unknown said...

Oh no, Those are the kind of days it seems your kids can't grow up fast enough? but aren't they also usually the days you forget about the fastest too. I think we must forget some of these days for a reason! I know, good ol' summer, after about a week I find myself wondering why I was so excited for it!!!

Jenni said...

I feel your pain...seriously. My kids have been waking up at 6:00 a.m. which makes for long boring days. Braden has decided to practice his piano at 6:30 a.m. to get it over with, which is CRAZY!!!! Because it wakes us all up, leaving everyone grouchy and annoyed by 7:30a.m. Bed time can't come soon enough this week.

Hayley said...

Oh Chanelle, when we chatted today I didn't realize how seriously exhuasted you are! This post made me at least feel better than all moms have those days, and all kids have those days. Next week, we are stealing Avery (and we will take Cade and Baily too if you'd like) and giving you a day off. And I'm bringing you cookies. STAT.

Kris said...

Chanelle, I love you. I seriously needed to read your blog today. I feel your pain. Kids fighting, house messy, baby getting in to everything. Trying, in vain, to get things done. Throw in a few bodily functions and some yelling and we're there! The monster that comes out of the top of my head is green with purple spots and her name is Shirley. It will get better. (I'm laughing as I say that because I know there's not a snowballs chance at my house, but I can be hopeful for yours!)

Hanne and Fam said...

Next time call me and I will iron the linens for you while you deal with the kids or take a break for yourself. Seriously, I mean it. I know how it is.

Tiffany said...

Weel at least they are playing with each other. HAY!!! when are you guys comming down??? I can't wait.

talk to you later.

love tiffy

vickie said...

Chanelle, you are doing great because you just through the toughest week of the year. Thanks for today. You are great.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, it sounds like you are going to have a fantastic time trying to balance the weddings and being a mom! Haha, I can't say I feel your pain just yet, but I am sure I will soon enough. Good luck with everything!

Brent and Jessica said...

You are a great mom! I think that it just gets some taking used to having them home all the time again. Good luck and I hope the weather turns around fast!